By Victoria Emma Pagán
- Tacitus is without doubt one of the most crucial Roman historians of his time, in addition to an excellent literary stylist, whose paintings is characterised through his philosophy of human nature
- Encourages interdisciplinary dialogue meant to interact students past Classics together with philosophy, cultural experiences, political technological know-how, and literature
- Showcases new theoretical methods that enhance our realizing of this advanced author
- Clarifies and explains the notoriously tricky language of Tacitus
- Written and designed to organize a brand new iteration of students to check for themselves the richness of Tacitean thought
- Includes contributions from a large variety of verified overseas students and emerging stars within the field
Read Online or Download A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar historical studies books
As early because the Warring States interval in China (fourth via 3rd centuries b. c. ), debates arose bearing on how and less than what conditions new associations may be shaped and legitimated. however the debates quick encompassed greater than simply legitimation. greater concerns got here to the fore: Can a sage innovate?
To write down heritage is to think about how you can explicate the previous, to weigh the myriad attainable ways to the prior, and to return to phrases with how the previous should be and has been used. during this publication, prize-winning historian Jeremy Black considers either well known and educational ways to the prior. His concentration is at the interplay among the presentation of the previous and present situations, on how heritage is used to validate one view of the current or to discredit one other, and on readings of the earlier that unite and people who divide.
How will we take historical past heavily as genuine and appropriate? regardless of the dangers of politically harmful or deceptive money owed of the previous, we are living our lives in an outstanding community of cooperation with different actors; earlier, current, and destiny. We learn and think about the earlier as a fashion of workout a accountability for shared motion.
Die Geschichte der Altertumswissenschaften in 750 Gelehrtenviten seit dem 14. Jahrhundert. Sie haben unsere Kenntnis der Antike entscheidend geprägt: Gelehrte aus Philologie, Archäologie und adjust Geschichte, Vertreter der Epigraphik, Numismatik, Papyrologie, Ägyptologie und Altorientalistik, Philosophen, Ethnologen, Sozialwissenschaftler, Kunsthistoriker, Sammler und Schriftsteller.
- Memories of Mass Repression: Narrating Life Stories in the Aftermath of Atrocity
- History on Film/Film on History (History: Concepts,Theories and Practice)
- Popular Historiographies in the 19th and 20th Centuries: Cultural Meanings, Social Practices (New German Historical Perspectives)
- Freemasonry Is Not An Occult Society: It Is a Fraternal Brotherhood and Not a Religion
Extra info for A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Tacitus (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Victoria Emma Pagán